Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Great Barrier Reef Spans almost 350,000 Square Kilometers

The Great Barrier Reef is the world's largest coral reef system, composed of more than 2900 coral reefs and more than 900 individual islands




Nestled in the Northeast of Queensland, Australia, some 2 million tourists come to the Great Barrier Reef every year. In 2005, it was estimated that this tourism generated 5.1 Billion Australian dollars, up from 4 Billion Australian dollars in 2003.



By far, the most popular vacation activities here are diving and snorkeling, but if you find yourself here on a not-so-sunny afternoon, try glass bottom boats, underwater observatories, or helicopter flights. Judging by the above picture, a helicopter flight may be the best way to take in the magnitude of this coral paradise.






There are also 1500 species of fish living here. Keep an eye out for Yellow Faced Angelfishes, Fusiliers, or Tiger Sharks.

Happy swimming.

2 comments:

eunice said...

OMG! Stunning photos of the Great Barrier Reef! You know, I used to long for visiting it when at one time I love snorkelling in the east coast of Malaysia!

Love your blog! I'll add you under my Travelogue. Do you collect all these travel images out of passion? :) Awesome!

~eunice~

eunice said...

Sorry, just left u an unrelated comment here..hope you can vote for me at my blog, n vote as regular as you can, as I am running for a photo blog award in Singapore now, contest ends on 31 July. Do buzz me at my shoutbox if you have questions relating to that! Thank you!

p.s: u can delete this comment :)

~eunice~